Skip to main content

About this Show

Charlie Rose

News/Business. Rose engages newsmakers in interviews and round-table discussions. New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING
TV-MA

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v106

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 6, Washington 4, Stan Druckenmiller 3, Harlem 3, George Soros 2, Aviation Nation 1, Ns 1, Opec 1, Universe 1, Mark Crumpton 1, Paul Ryan 1, Fiction 1, Personalto 1, Ampire 1, Paul 1, Theyave 1, Usc 1, Gps 1, Gh 1, Nd 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Bloomberg    Charlie Rose    News/Business. Rose engages newsmakers in  
   interviews and round-table discussions. New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    December 4, 2013
    8:00 - 9:01pm EST  

8:00pm
that does it for this edition. i am mark crumpton. see you tomorrow night. ♪
8:01pm
>> from our studios in new york city, this is "charlie rose." almost one in every four
8:02pm
children in the united states of america lives in a state of poverty. that is an outrage. one way to think about it, of the top 35 industrial countries in the world, we have the second highest poverty rates. >> stan druckenmiller is here. he maintained one of the best records on wall street. he orchestrated a campaign in colleges to educate and mobilize action on entitlement reform and government spending. he says that without a major overhaul soon, today's young people will be robbed of the future benefits and standard of living they deserve. i am pleased to have stan druckenmiller at this table. welcome. >> good to see you. >> can i just start with understanding you, this remarkable record with the george soros, where are you in your life? >> you mean what am i doing?
8:03pm
wax yes. -- >> yes. >> i am still managing monday -- money actively. i go to work at about 6:00 and come home at about 6:00. i do that 12 hours a day. i am still in love with markets. the only thing that has changed as i'm not competing so i'm not managing other people's money's. i love markets and the intellectual challenge. >> is that what you love, they intellectual challenge? -- the intellectual challenge? >> yes. >> you like being rich? >> not so much being rich as i like to win. i have a disease. it is a competitive disease. it gives me a thrill to win. >> does it give you a thrill to be better than someone else which is winning? >> i can know it to her at her than someone else but it gives me a thrill to have it to results than someone else. >> where did you get that? where is the competitive spirit
8:04pm
coming from? do you know? you cannot remember when you did not have it? >> i do not know. i remember being a brat when i was little. we used to play board games constantly. i really did not like to lose when i played board games. it is something i was born with. it is somewhat of a curse but it has its and that judges in terms of pushing you to perform -- but it has its advantages in terms of pushing you to perform. >> and widening your opportunities to do a range of things. >> yes. >> what is it about markets that is magical for people who love the idea of what they not only represent but the challenge they offer? >> yes. i would say there are two things. number one, i love trying to put a puzzle together, visualize the particularly if you have a different view of other people. if you do that right, security
8:05pm
prices in the future will reflect that. there is a great satisfaction to having solve that puzzle. the nice thing is you get your grace in the paper every day. there is no subject to the in the money man's business. it is right to there. if you scrub, those numbers are there. i love the objectivity of that. >> george soros. the relationship you two had, you were there. you are the guy when the great decision based in the devaluation of the pound happened. >> yes. you bet right. and you bet a lot. >> yes. >> and you made $1 billion in one day. >> something like that. >> you know precisely. >> true. polite term, who is the bigger nerd? you or george? >> i would say george has more
8:06pm
ice water than i do. i would say, if you looked at our records, they are very comparable. when he ran quantum and iran quantum, they are almost within decimal points. say george made more spectacular bets and my record was a little more -- the bets were more consistent with the results were pretty much of the same. >> do you agree with him? if you see an opportunity, go all in? >> if there is one thing i learned from george and what made me a shirt money manager because george is exactly that, it is not whether you are right or wrong, it is how much money you make when you are right and how much you lose when you are wrong. >> and how confident you are when you are right. >> yes, but up until that point, i had a very good record. it was only after i was with george that i learned how much you should really press eight
8:07pm
that's when your confidence level is extremely high. i did before i was there, do not get me wrong. it was amazing to watch that man when we had a something we really believed in, to see the andhe would size at risk reward. >> you cherished of the fact iat the relationship is one, asked you when you set them, we are friends with different lives, but he wants a said, you not only are a great money manager but a partner. no, i have very fond feelings for george. the best 12 years of my life. my three children were born. i learned a lot. it was an exciting time. we are still in touch. we are in different political sides. >> exactly where i was going. >> it does not matter in terms of our friendship. >> totally different sides. >> yes, but the respect is there. learnwashington could
8:08pm
something because we could not be different politically, but i think the mutual -- the mutual respect is there. >> define how you are different politically. , in think george traditional terms, he would be considered more on the left and i would be considered more on the right, particularly on the non-social issues, on the economic issues. he is more pro-regulation. he thinks markets go wild. i love free markets. i am anti-regulation. >> are you more libertarian? >> i think that is probably fair, yes. i am certainly not on the right on social issues. anti-cronyrtainly capitalism. i have some strange abuse in terms of being on the right that's normal corporations may not particularly like. >> there are a lot of use
8:09pm
corporations may not like. don't you? >> i sure everybody does. >> what surprised me, to understand what you are arguing for is not necessarily predictable from where you come from politically. >> that is absolutely true. in fact, i think one of the problems of getting this message through, which is so obvious to me, it is as obvious as the pound was and then some in terms of per the ability. it has a longer time frame. it has been associated with austerity and to the right wing. i do not look at it that way at all. many ways, the left wing should be more excited or as excited as the right-wing and that is what we found out on the road with the students. the kids at berkeley love did. the kids at brown loved it. but athe same conclusion
8:10pm
different messaging. >> ok. i wanted to set this up so you could explain to me what it is you are on the road talking about and what is the central idea and why you are so passionate about it. i wanted to understand where you come from politically from the right, maybe more libertarian and at the same time the respect. >> i am an independent two would be considered center on social issues and probably somewhere to the right -- ministration?nt >> i voted for in the first time but i have been opposed to just about everything he has done since i voted for him. >> what was your problem with health care? >> my problem with health care, we talking about obamacare? >> yes. >> i believed it was a once in a generation opportunity to separate this thing from the corporation and make the consumer of health care actually have a choice and have skin in the game.
8:11pm
big problemsf the with the health-care system is we go to the doctor and we have no incentive to shop, no incentive to see what the costs are. as long as your a corporation and paying the bills and you do not see that bill, that is the way it will remain. no intelligence at the decision point. >> right. there is none whatsoever. >> or self-interest. >> right. we have taken away the market, so to could use very much solve this problem. we have completely taken out of the equation. i guess my problem with obamacare, the more i understand now, is it is dishonest. i mean we are taking young healthy people, and making them buy plants with stuff and then they do not need to subsidize people with pre--
8:12pm
conditions and older people. >> and if you do that, the system will not work. >> i am ok if you want to stand -- tax stand and say we are taxing you to support people with pre-existing conditions and sick people. i am not ok with messing up all this marketing and making me have maternity and all kinds of stuff in there as some kind of hidden scheme to make the subsidization. if we as a society want to to implement universal health care the way they want, let's at least be honest about it and put a tax on all of us and say we choose to do this. >> you are willing to pay that kind of tax. >> what i be willing to pay for it? i would feel a lot better paying for it as a tax than mucking up the whole incentives within the health-care system. what i be willing to pay for it? yes, i think i would.
8:13pm
>> you go to college campuses and you have a central erie that i referred to in the introduction which is that you believe it is unfair what we are doing to young people today. we are burdening them with circumstances that we did not have so that they can take care of us. >> yes. >> that is simplified. you explain. >> the way our entitlement system works is that it is not pay as you go. it was set up a long time ago so current workers pay for current seniors. and because of the senior lobby versus young people, because young people do not vote and they do not give money to parties. they have other things on their mind. >> and they are not organized. >> the seniors in our society have been taking an increasing share for the better part of the better part of 40 years from money allotted to use and investment.
8:14pm
to --. use and investment to youth and investment. this is extremely alarming because the baby boom which took place from 1947 to 1967, and that was 65 years ago, means the number of seniors is about to explode. so, the share of the pie that has gone to the elderly is now about to be distributed to a lot more people, specifically, we are creating 8000 new seniors on the entitlement payrolls every day now. that is because of the demographics and only producing 2000 young adult workers to support them. that's number goes to 11,000 by 2029. toohave a combination of much pie going to one sector and that sector growing dramatically relatively -- relative to the sector that will support them.
8:15pm
that should set up a big fiscal problem sometime in the next 20 to 40 years. next 10bly not in the or 15. >> i do not think in the next 10 or 15 but i do not know. that's me tell you what i do not care if it is in the next 10 or 15. because every day that we wait is money that the next generation has to pay whether it 20, 30,5, whether it is or whether it is 40. every day you wait and these obligations and promises and debts accumulate means that the next generation will pay that bill as opposed to seniors today. unfairnessterrible about what we are looking at oney. as you probably know, of the problems is that we are allocating more and more toward transfer payments to seniors and away from things like head start, nih
8:16pm
grants, investments in education . so, you are also having the seed problem. >> there are lots of ink that come out of this. number one, i hear you. i think other people recognize the problem we face. but you are a sickly saying to young people, you have to do something. get organized. you have to take it in your responsibility or you face a crushing burden. >> yes, they are going to. >> and you will have to pay more and you will not get out as much. because people who are older are getting out what they were promised. >> yes. one of the things i bristle at is i have read things that i am anti-entitlement. i am not anti-entitlement. i want youth today to enjoy the benefits of the social security today enjoy.rees if we continue to share the pie
8:17pm
we are doing it, there will be nothing left for the youth of today. it is not that i am anti- entitlement. i am for sustainability entitlement. >> for those who say we have to let the baby boom generation get through the system and then we can figure all this out. >> that is where my day job comes in. that is total nonsense because what happens is that is the rat through the python theory. once the rat was through the python, you are fine. i the time 20 or 30 years are up in the baby booms are over, the debt is so high that the interest payments alone start to become bigger than the entitlements were during the 20 to 30 year time frame. >> are you encouraged that the debt is going down? >> none whatsoever. >> you see that is temporary or small? >>e that is tiny potatoes --
8:18pm
that is tiny potatoes. that has nothing to do with entitlements. and ofright on the front a demographic surge that is going to cause investment spending to go crazy. let me just put it in perspective for you. , ok?ext 10 years this is what the administration's optimistic budget. spending, anot the growth in social security, medicare, and medicaid is going to be $780 billion. the growth in spending on children will be $20 billion. that is what you are looking at. i do not know what kind of society you want, but this is just transfer payments to the elderly who, as i mentioned earlier, have already been increasing their share of the pie for the last 40 years. i think it is unfair. most of all and secondly it will set up an unsustainable situation down the road. we cannot afford it. >> here is the alternative
8:19pm
argument. take larry summers. someone who you have some respect for. he argues that all the talk about entitlement reform, you know, and down the road the fears that you are pointing to says, what we need to do is andte growth in the economy growth in the economy will take care of all of the a prop -- all of the problems that stand is worried about. it will not take care of all the problems i'm talking about. i am very sympathetic to what larry is saying, who i consider a friend. he -- to get too number numbery. 40 years ago, this is an argument very would be sympathetic to. 40 years ago we spent 42% on government investment.
8:20pm
that would include things like infrastructure, education, r&d. we spent about 30% on transfer payments to the elderly. we now spend 68% on transfer payments but investments are down to 15%. so, i think to larry's point, what did we get out of the investment? we got the internet, gps, the human genome. >> that is where you agree? >> i totally agree. if you look at the sequester -- >> investments are worthwhile and crucial to our future. >> yes, but we are cutting the investment so we can continue to let transfer payments to the elderly grow at a rapid rate. we cannot do both. >> or we are cutting the investments because we do not have a realistic look at where taxes, which you are prepared to have a realistic look at. yes? in other words, you are not coming here as a representative,
8:21pm
as you often express, by the 13 members of congress, although you had reservations about the health fund and it defunding the health care even though you express th reservations about i. you thought it was silly, maybe to use your own words, to try to attach it defunding of medicare to the debt ceiling. on the other hand, you would be prepared to attaching something else in order to have some sanity to address the problem. am i right or wrong? >> i was 100% against tying obamacare to the government shutdown. decided and asas much as i did not like the conclusion, i have never been for defunding obamacare once it was -- and certainly linking it to the government shutdown. that is insane. >> are there circumstances were you thinking government shutdown fact,atisfactory if, in
8:22pm
for example, say we shut down the government rather than raise the debt ceiling. thought there was a big enough carrot, and to me that would be in -- that would be serious entitlement reform at the end of the road, i would be willing to flirt with a government shutdown. there was no big carrot at the end of the road. both parties agreed that the one thing we were not going to do was cut growth in payment key out seniors. we were not even talking about entitlements. we were talking about other things. we are talking about obamacare. >> the president said, what you believe him or not, that they are prepared. that is what the budget process is about. he is prepared to look at some changes in entitlement reform in contrast to changing the tax structure. >> the president says a lot of things.
8:23pm
the first thing that sets me on my media to her and the college tour was the president when the budget until started way back in the beginning of last year stated, i saw it on television like yesterday, the one thing we will not do is allen's this on the back of seniors. that's was his initial position. i have not heard a lot different from republicans. >> how do you want to balance it on the back of seniors? >> this is where my role as a philanthropist and day job intersect. harlem.ead start up in we are cutting nih grants. but we are not even touching this other stuff? >> that brings us to this point. how would you touched the other stuff? >> ok. >> that is the point. >> yes. now, i am going to give you an answer -- >> i think that is larry's
8:24pm
points to a degree. >> i will give you an answer but the first thing i want to say is the first thing i want to do is i it -- is identify the problem. i do not have a monopoly on the truth. i have my own opinions and some suggestions. i think the answer to your question is to be fought in the political arena. if you are asking me for what my suggestions would be, the first thing we would have to do is lower hanging fruit. you can means test to a greater extent medicare. test socials security. we have not even done that. >> people like you do not need medicare would not get medicare. >> correct. philosophically, this was an insurance safety net we paid into for 40 or 50 years. we buy fire insurance, the fire did not happen, let's give insurance to the people who need it. but that is not a whole lot of money. ok? i guess where i differ even from the republicans is i would not
8:25pm
exempt people over 55. when i look at the share of the that would not even go far enough. i would freeze the thing. i would freeze it in terms of social security. will say 30% or 40% of the people who really need social security, they should be provided for. i do not want to see seniors in poverty. >> you do not want to see seniors without medical care and without all the things they ought they had a social contract to receive. >> yes. and they are receiving it. then you get into the elephant in the room which is the health care system. it gets very complicated. let me just say that the first thing you've got to do is put incentives at the consumption level. it is already happening to some copayments.gh that should start to push down the cost. the second thing is, i think the
8:26pm
extent that we have no practice in this country is causing -- having now practice in this country is causing test to be done that do not need to be done. get into some controversial issues like the end-of-life. illou have a terminally patient who has a zero percent chance of living more than two will cost $1t million to keep them alive for two months. how much should that family pay versus society? i have a horrible story. a crying mother came up to me because for 93-year-old mother had just been put into a hospice and she was getting thousands of dollars was she did not want for the mother and the hospice but daughter -- her seven-year- old daughter could not get the money for an operation that she needed and the woman was literally crying. the juxtaposition of the 90- year-old mother who had two or three months to live getting
8:27pm
thousands of dollars but there was no funding for the seven- year-old. this is why i say stan druckenmiller cannot make this decision but it is a conversation we have to have and we are not having it. we are just saying, ok, as long as we can keep them alive, keep them alive. >> in order to understand where you are and this is why this is surprising, we have capital gains tax and ordinary income. you basically want to see capital gains tax rise to the rate of the ordinary income. >> i think there is a different way to grow the economy. >> i also want to know what your conservative friends think of this. >> first of all, let's go back to larry summers. i think taking the capital gains and the dividend rates to north -- to ordinary income while you simultaneously lower corporate tax rates to zero would make the economy grow dramatically and revenues to the government would actually increase.
8:28pm
throughikes to do it spending. i like to do it through tax reform in that regard. >> capital gains would go to the level of ordinary income. you would reduce the corporate income tax 20. you assume there would not be double taxation as people argue. you would pay tax on corporate profits because you are a shareholder. >> corporations have presented -- they are like living things to people. they are not. they are owned by shareholders. if you tax a shareholder, you are taxing the alternate beneficiary area >> as an ordinary rate. >> and they are clipping coupons. they are not hiring people. >> and corporations are doing that. >> you take their rate to zero. all this money to talk about overseas, if the corporations money and buy back
8:29pm
stock and issue dividends, that money comes back at a 40% rate. they are not bringing it to the 35% rate. do you think this has a chance in hell of being politically viable? worse question. is the reason you are going to all these campuses is you want to create some kind of political inion that might result having a chance in hell? , i wantecond question to shine a light on this issue. i am desperately hoping the young people will start a movement. you i want to start a movement? i do not think i am capable. do i think i can articulate the facts? and have i seen them respond that someone else can start a movement? yes. they were instrumental in getting gay marriage passed. they are moving the needle on the environment. this thing is similar. >> on both of those issues, you are on their side. on gay rights and the environment.
8:30pm
>> yes. i still am. i am trying to lay out a set of facts and hoping when they look at those facts, they will start to put political pressure and consider this issue as important as they do the environment and the gay rights. >> do you think you'll find more receptivity in the republican receptivity and the republican or democratic party? spoken, theyave we have asked questions for half an hour. it doesn't matter if they were at round or usc or north carolina. jeff explain.n -- runs the harlem children's zone. i have been president since its founding. >> they do what? .> good question
8:31pm
there are 100 square yards. they take children from birth to college, prosocial antibiotics babyem, education, college, pre-k, try to get them to college. know, there is a bunch of pilot programs, some inspired by the president to try to copy that model around the country. that is what jeff does. he runs that. >> you have been his big ?upporter >> i was on his pre-board, his pre-organization, and when he founded the harlem's children zone, i became the chairman. >> i understand what you are doing in terms of young people
8:32pm
on campuses and looking to create a movement and same-sex marriage with the same legs. washington, what kind of response do you get there? committee,is finance -- paul, paul ryan >> i went to washington in 1994. in 2011 i knew the demographics. i had very little success. i hadn't even gone to washington this time, because it was my view until the young people show they are going to turn on this issue the people in washington won't give a dam about this. >> he is on the left, and you are somewhere on the right, but
8:33pm
on social issues are in the center. what does george say? .> i haven't talked to him >> why not? >> i haven't gotten around to hit -- to it. both of his sons like it. this is new for me. i didn't know i was going to do this. it will probably happen in the next month or two. i have been pleasantly surprised by the reception i have gotten from the intellectual left on this issue. him i got to sit down with .nd explain my case to them the stuff i am not saying. i don't want to speak for george, but there will be a time when i will certainly sit down and see what he thinks about it.
8:34pm
>> thank you for coming. back in a moment. stay with us.
8:35pm
8:36pm
>> gearmotor el toro -- is here.del toro his films include pans labyrinth and pacific rim. here is a look at just some of his work. ♪
8:37pm
>> we're out of options.
8:38pm
>> what is inside of your mind? >> it is in the book. >> you have already put them in film. what is in the book? models for each project and some projects i haven't made so people can see ,ot just sleep preproduction they can see my process. in pans pale man labyrinth the first time i drew him was 10 years ago. >> may i?
8:39pm
this even feels like it is classic. >> it is. withght them on a tour minas sorvino. i think a couple of them are going to stay vacant. can i show you one that i like? >> described this to me. >> it is the flashback. it is the woman when i understood the girl had lost her heart. it symbolizes with the little shoe in her hand. that is one of the first images. not a giant monster or a giant robot but the little girl with a red shoe.
8:40pm
what do you write? >> i can be writing several things at once. a novel writing about that i read or a movie that i saw or a piece of music. intimate been quite diaries. >> mostly spanish? >> it depends on the project. i keep a little book. it is sort of low-tech. did.s stuff that i already >> what is the nature of a monster? >> a monster is something above or extra of nature. is you can make a
8:41pm
monster of natural forms, but you have to magnify it in no way. a monster is something that represents something. or a dragon,ampire or it can simply be a force of nature. in japanese movies they represent a force of nature. in godzilla the power and destruction of nuclear energy. >> can you make a nice sweet love story? >> i am doing it. one day i would love to do the heart is a lonely hunter. it was very significant in my youth. personalto me on a level. ,> can you explain it to me
8:42pm
other than the fact you influence them? you had a happy, unhappy childhood. >> i think when you are born with that sensibility you are going to have an unhappy childhood. you are not going to fit in the outdoor sportsman world. as a kid i was 17 years old. i was a hypochondriac. i diagnosed myself with every disease known to man. you wereid you know interested in monsters? >> always. when i went to church -- i was raised catholic. i would be looking for gargoyles. it's in all of us. i think the way we understand the universe is by codifying it.
8:43pm
you are going to call them monsters or superheroes. by digesting concepts that are superhuman you can understand. >> remember the show we did when we looked at the new creative artists in mexico. they are going very different directions. >> they have. at the same time, we have all remained very close. when they came to the pacific rim, i was in the editing room. i watch his movie and give a critique. we are perhaps closer now than we were when we did the first one. >> but you are doing very different things.
8:44pm
>> very different things. finalo came with the line. constant retrofit. the guy says, you are holding me o type. >> when these guys come in it is like visiting the doctor. is a leak house -- bleak house? >> in 2006 i was hanging one of my paintings, and my wife said, you cannot hang that.
8:45pm
then i said, i live with you guys. now it is two homes. i bought thousands of books. >> this might appeal to a lot of men and women. >> i think it is a fantastic idea. if it is amatter two-bedroom apartment, as long as you know it is yours. i do the cleaning and everything, and it's perfect the organize.
8:46pm
>> you allow them to come? >> yes, she likes it. the. -- the daughters are less keen to visit. leave for the day. i come back at night. every day is the same. >> it is like going to the office for you. >> i call it the rain room. it is a room that has artificial rain and artificial windows looking out into a thunderstorm. >> what is that about? >> i like thunderstorms because i live in california. >> you should move to seattle. >> i just like the thunderstorms when i want them.
8:47pm
the pale man? >> the pale man came from the idea that i needed to create a child eating creature who was the ultimate nightmare. i came up with this idea. then i removed the face and gave him eyes on the hands. >> where did you get that idea? >> the first thing i kid displaces in the drawing is the eyes when they are making monsters. >> they change the eyes. it happened by accident. i told my wife. we were having dinner. him eyes on give the palms, or do i give him
8:48pm
would enhance he can screw on -- he can screw on. >> it is like reapers. like a snake.ns if you play with an element it becomes a scary image. after you are 40 something, you become who you are. hitchcock used to say style was specificity and repetition.
8:49pm
>> he used to say a glance at horror is nothing other than reality. >> reality filtered through the imagination. the birds was as close as he got to science fiction. you need a detail that is extraordinary. .he lady vanishes he needs the lady vanishing. >> you have said horror has been .iven a bad reputation >> i think what i want is varied that whatever genre is sincere.
8:50pm
at some point we started with and quickly followed. they are so beautiful these presentations. .e spent weeks it was very satisfactory and beautiful. >> the paying would series, what is that? i was asked to write a new introduction. it was very well storied.
8:51pm
i wanted to show some of the genre.xamples of the we were reintroducing an offer that was very neglected. that was very neglected and was out of print for a long time. to write a primer for people buying that collection for the first time. brothers worken together. collaborating.o >> or we would create a great story of murder because we would murder each other. the idea of collaborating, every
8:52pm
time i visit his editing room, it is his editing room. you don't put three in the same project. there is only one. brothers can do it. else are you working on for the future? >> charlie henan. it is a. and r-ratedce, movie. normally my teenager concerns i do them in an american movie. this is the first time i am doing an adult theme movie with
8:53pm
, so it will be interesting to try that. look forward to 3-d and all the imagery you can create, what's the future? the future of filmmaking is a big division between the stories. it can be a marriage between cable, video consoles, and the nternet. >> it seems to me the story is how it will be distributed. in the factmight be you can release it worldwide.
8:54pm
>> you are right. right now we are five or 10 years on the threshold of someone coming up with alternative distribution. distribution is still being done -- sameame they segue. basic way. that is what has to change. >> you can buy this in the bookstore. thank you for joining us. see you. ♪
8:55pm
.. .
8:56pm
8:57pm
8:58pm
8:59pm
9:00pm
>> welcome to "lunch money" where we tied together the best stories and video in business news. i'm adam johnson. opec is holding steady and the banks are taking a bad cartel slap on the wrist. the wildcard, aviation nation. you've got to write -- fight for your right to keep your miles. and in the city, the smog solution. you actually have a building that eats pollution for lunch. and move over. someone else is coming into boston. the fans are not happy. but kick it off with the tale of two cartels.